The mission of Oklahoma People First is to:
- Promote equality;
- Assist each other in speaking for ourselves;
- Educate our communities;
- Hold meetings to educate ourselves;
- Support self-advocacy in Oklahoma; and
- Create public support for People First.
Members of Oklahoma People First believe:
- We create a better future for everyone when we exercise our rights.
- People don't need to live in institutions, no matter what professionals say.
- People should live as independently as possible.
- People should let their voices be heard.
- People have the right to know, to choose, and to do as they wish.
- Transportation is something we should make available at all times.
- All people need equal services.
- People should be able to stand up for their rights without fear of being hurt or abused.
- We need to stop abuse of persons with disabilities.
- People should be able to obtain medical care when needed.
- People should have equal opportunity to access their communities and all services.
- We can do many things if just given the chance.